National School Bus Safety Week is held annually during the third week of October to highlight the importance of school bus safety. This year, National School Bus Safety Week is recognized October 17-21 and the theme is “1 Bus + 1 Driver = A Big Impact on Education.”
Floresville ISD offers bus transportation to 2,740 students each day. Our drivers travel 31 routes to transport students to school and back home safely. They also work after school and on weekends to drive our students to field trips, sporting events, competitions, and other activities.
We are extremely grateful for the commitment and dedication of our transportation team members. Thank you for all you do to ensure our students are on the road to success!
Here are some tips to make school bus transportation safer:
• Flashing yellow lights mean the bus is about to make a stop and you should slow down, too.
• Flashing red lights and stop signs mean you should stop as children may be entering or exiting the bus.
• Passing a stopped school bus is illegal and can result in steep fines, depending on your state’s laws.
• If you are traveling in the opposite direction of a stopped school bus, you are still required to stop if the road is less than four lanes.
• You should always drive cautiously near school buses.
• Walk on the sidewalk
• Get to the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
• Be sure to wait at least six feet away from the curb.
• Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop, the door opens, and the driver says it’s okay before approaching the bus door.
• Look right before you step off the bus.
• Never walk behind a school bus.
• Make eye contact with the bus driver before crossing in front of the bus to make sure they can see you.
• If you drop something near the school bus, tell the bus driver right away and wait to pick up the item.
• Don't distract the driver.
• Stay in your seat.
• Don't put your head, arms or hands out the window.
• Keep aisles clear of books and bags.
• Wait for the bus to stop completely before getting up from your seat.
• Follow your bus driver's rules.